Notices for planetlab: message number 00073

A summary of the 2nd PlanetLab NZ Workshop, held at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, on 6 November 2009

Dear All:

Many thanks to all of you who participated in the 2nd PlanetLab NZ
Workshop on "Next Generation Networks and Future Internet: Research and
Experimentation", held at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch,
on  6 November 2009, in my apologies that it has taken so long time to
put this message together. After the workshop we have worked on
advancing our plans of extension of PlanetLab experimental platform to
additional three universities. There is a good chance that we will be
able to report to have fully operational nodes of PlanetLab NZ at the
University of Victoria, University of Waikato and Auckland University of
Technology soon.

Our 2nd PlanetLab NZ Workshop was organized with the sponsorship of
REANNZ (Research and Education Advanced Network New Zealand Ltd), Allied
Telesis Labs Ltd, University of Canterbury, Department of Computer
Science & Software Engineering, and BuildIT Fund. The event
was attended by 38 participants, representing research groups from
Auckland University of Technology,  Massey University, University of
Auckland, University of Otago, Victoria University of Wellington,
University of Canterbury, University of Duisburg-Essen (Germany) and
University of Vienna (Austria), as well as Allied Telesis Labs Ltd.

The workshop was opened by Prof. Ian Towns, Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the UC. The program begun with a keynote lecture by Prof. Kurt Tutschku from University of Vienna. This was followed by three plenary sessions.

The workshop was broadcasted on-line on KAREN. Slides of all
presentations are available at the PlanetLab NZ website
<www.planetlabnz.canterbury.ac.nz>; please select "2nd PlanetLab NZ
Workshop, November 2009" there, or go directly to
<www.planetlabnz.canterbury.ac.nz/workshop2009>.
A few photos from the workshop are stored at
<www.planetlabnz.canterbury.ac.nz/workshop2009/images.html> and, if you
were lucky, you can be on one of them.

After the workshop, an article entitled "UC hosts workshop focusing  on
future Internet" was published in  the Chronicle of University of
Canterbury (vol. 44, no. 20, December 11, 2010); see page 14 at
<www.comsdev.canterbury.ac.nz/chronicle/2009/ChronVol44-20.pdf> .

Once again, I would like to express my gratitude to everyone who contributed to this worthwhile event. Special thanks are due to administrative and technical staff from Department of Computer Science & Software Engineering, and from Allied Telesis Labs Ltd, for their excellent support of this workshop.

It is my hope that we will be able to continue with these workshops
in future. One possibility would be to hold the 3rd PlanetLab NZ
workshop during ATNAC 2010 and APCC 2010, two international conferences
which are planned in Auckland, October 31- November 3, 2010; see
<http://APCC2010.aut.ac.nz>.

Please let me know  your thoughts about such an arrangement. Of course,
securing sufficient funding would be essential, so any advice about a
possible sponsorship is welcome too.

My best wishes for 2010 for all of you.

Enjoy summertime (if you are on this hemisphere),
and let's continue our research activities on networks of future.

Krys

Professor Krzysztof Pawlikowski
 Network Research Laboratory:
 Protocols, Distributed Processing and Simulation

Department of Computer Science & Software Engineering
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Christchurch, New Zealand

ph.     +(64) 3 3642 987 ext.7772