Notices for planetlab: message number 00090

GENI News

Dear GENI colleagues,

I'm delighted to announce that the NSF has just awarded funding for GENI Solicitation 3, and on Monday we will start contacting everyone who submitted a proposal. We expect a very quick ramp-up for the winning subcontracts.

These new efforts will greatly accelerate GENI's buildout throughout the United States by creating a deploying GENI racks throughout many locations, significantly enhancing OpenFlow deployments through both backbone and regional networks, creating an overarching Instrumentation and Measurement (I&M) system, and increasing support to experimenters and network operators.

On a related note, teams of experts from the GENI community will begin visiting some 20 new campuses in the coming weeks to help them prepare for GENI-enabling their campuses. I'd like to thank these hard-working volunteers, plus Larry Landweber who has organized the whole campus-expansion effort, for literally going the extra mile to grow GENI across the US. Their work will have a major impact on our national network infrastructure.

Amidst this flurry of activity, I am sad to note that our friend and close colleague, Aaron Falk, has received an offer that he cannot pass up, and thus will soon be leaving BBN to join a local Cambridge startup. Aaron has played a central role in standing up GENI, first at ISI and then at BBN, and we will all miss his warmth, quick wit, and engineering expertise, and wish him all the best in his startup experience.

And last but not least, the US Ignite effort is now close to kickoff. We expect major announcements within the next month or so, and encourage researchers who are interested in creating next-generation applications to get involved as the project begins to ramp up. There will most likely be an NSF workshop, by invitation only, at GEC 12 for researchers who wish to participate. Please see the NSF Ignite page for information.

Best wishes,

Chip

Chip Elliott

GENI Project Director